Where is Sorbie?
If you have access to a GPS unit, or can print out a map from a computer, that will be very helpful. Here are some helpful links:
Sorbie is located in Dumfries and Galloway, southwestern Scotland. The nearest sizeable town is Newton Stewart. The nearest airports are Prestwick and Glasgow. Sorbie is about a two and a half to three hour drive from Glasgow. Don’t let the short distances fool you, as roads are narrower and tend to pass through small villages. If you are used to North American highways, more than double your time estimate for driving distances. If you are taking public transit, at least triple the time, in addition to understanding that service in this region is infrequent.
- Car Rental – If you are a driver and are comfortable with stick-shift and left-side driving, this is by far the easiest way to get around. Glasgow Airport has most major car rental agencies. Prestwick Airport has more limited options.
- Bus – Bus service in this area of Scotland is provided by StageCoach UK. Check their website for latest times and itineraries.
Getting to the general area
The best bet is to get yourself to Newton Stewart first. Newton Stewart is reached by one of three main roads:
- From the North (Glasgow): Take the A77 South to Girvan, then take the A714 South to Newton Stewart
- From the West (Stranraer/ferry from Belfast): Take the A75 East to Newton Stewart
- From the East (Dumfries): Take the A75 West to Newton Stewart
Once you’re in Newton Stewart, you can head south on the A714 to Wigtown, and from there on the A746 to Sorbie.
Getting to the tower itself
Once you get to Sorbie village, drive east on B7052, which is a secondary road, about one-and-a-half times the width of a car. Traveling eastward from Sorbie to Garlieston, the entrance to the tower is located on the left hand side of the road, at the first major curve you encounter (The road veers to the left, then curves to the right).
Where to Stay
The greatest range of choices in accommodation nearby would be in Newton Stewart (click for more info). Wigtown (click for more info) is closer to Sorbie, but has fewer hotels and B&Bs. VisitScotland (click for more info) can show you a wide range of options around the entire region, but many will be farther afield.